Mercury Release Notes
Version 35, Oct. 19, 2020
- Syntax highlighting in the Info Page body text and Code fields, to help prevent HTML and CSS errors.
- More efficient handling of GIF's that are included in the project.
- Updated help links from settings panels.
- Removed the now-unneeded base.css file.
- Minor code cleanup, default settings changes, and bug fixes.
- User interface compiled to Java 14.
Version 34, Aug. 22, 2020
- Some changes in the Dark and Light style colors.
- This is the last version that is compatible with jAlbum 17/21.
Version 33, Jul. 22, 2020
- Some minor changes to deal with jAlbum 21 better. However, users should not use the HTML editor introduced in jAlbum 21. It is incompatible with the skin, and may damage any existing HTML you have used in titles and comments.
- Improved warning dialogs.
- Some default settings changes.
Version 32, Jul. 8, 2020
- More selective generation of CSS and copying of navigation icons when the skin is being used to create a master album.
- Some small user interface improvements.
Version 31, Jul. 1, 2020
- Some small user interface improvements (long combo boxes).
- Simplified version control.
Version 30, Jun. 20, 2020
- Removed some obsolete declarations from the Justified Gallery CSS (a validation issue).
- Settings panel revisions to avoid scrolling on laptops.
Version 29, May 26, 2020
- Extensively revised handling of navigation icons on small displays.
- Navigation icon size limits revised.
- "Top of page" icon now included on info page.
- Option to enter folder-specific top and bottom info text (text that appears above or below the thumbnails), overriding the album-level info text content. See the user's manual section on Image & Folder Settings. Support for external topinfo.txt and bottominfo.txt files removed.
- More consistent use of CSS classes and id's.
- Update Justified Gallery.
- Updated jQuery.
- Corrected warning message window location.
Version 28, May 11, 2020
- Option to use two different Google fonts in an album.
Version 27, May 3, 2020
- Option to alter the size of the overlay on video thumbnails.
- Option to show an overlay on web location thumbnails.
Version 26, Apr. 27, 2020
- Folder thumbnails are now always shown in a separate section on the page.
- There is no longer a folder overlay icon on folder thumbnails.
- The small video overlay icon has been replaced by a larger, centered, semi-transparent overlay, similar to the one shown on thumbnails in the jAlbum Explore view. This can be disabled.
- The navigation for returning to the thumbnail page from a slide image now uses the "up" icon, rather than the "index" icon. The "index" icon is used only for returning from an info page.
- If the album has a link to an external homepage entered under Album » Settings » Pages, that link is now also included on the info page, if the album has one.
- All pages produced by the skin now include an HTML lang attribute. It's helpful for search engines, for browser translations, and in some cases for choosing correct typography. It defaults to the language you have chosen for jAlbum, but you may choose another. See the Misc settings tab. If the language code for the predominant language in your album is not in the list, you may enter any of the standard codes manually.
- Simplified handling of icon colors. They are now always color-matched to the neighboring text.
- Improved handling of very long captions on slide images.
- Spellchecking extended to info page title and text.
- New style, Chocolate.
- Adjustments to the colors in some styles.
- Some code cleanup.
- A fix for a bug involving fixed-shape thumbnails and undersized images.
- A fix for a bug in the spacing of floated thumbnails.
Version 25, Mar. 29, 2020
- Option, when showing folder thumbnails in a separate section, to place them after the image thumbnails, rather than before.
- Simplified handling of thumbnail sizes when fixed shape thumbnails are selected. This will have the effect of making fixed shape thumbnails larger than they were in prior releases (they'll actually be shown at their correct size now), so you might want to adjust the thumbnail image bounds downward in an existing project.
- Some changes to default settings and to settings limits.
Version 24, Mar. 15, 2020
- Option to float the thumbnails, with their captions appearing to the side of each image. Thumbnails can be floated left or right, caption width and alignment can be selected, and a colored thumbnail surround may be chosen. On a small display the float is removed and the captions are centered below the thumbnails.
- Some default settings changes.
Version 23, Mar. 1, 2020
- The skin now accepts YouTube links in the simple "share" form that YouTube provides: for example, https://youtu.be/Bj-7LxpF9dA. The more complicated "embed" forms of the URL are still accepted, as well.
- Adjusted threshold for appearance of the "top of page" icon.
- More selective timestamping of output files.
Version 22, Feb. 15, 2020
- Improved positioning of download icons on slide pages.
- Corrected handling of image display limits when choosing Link to originals or Use original, both with and without specifying HiDPI images. The skin can be used with jAlbum 17 or better, but for making albums with original images coupled with HiDPI images, jAlbum 19.3.2 or better is required.
- Corrected handling of video, YouTube, and Vimeo display limits when choosing Link to originals or Use original.
Version 21, Jan. 31, 2020
Version 20, Jan. 18, 2020
- Swipe detection removed from info page. This produced only a slight benefit for mobile visitors, while interfering with other functionality on the page.
- Improved handling of links in user-provided titles, comments, etc.
- If the skin is used to create an "album of albums," it doesn't generate or load unneeded image-handling scripts and icons.
- Some code cleanup for more efficient album creation and easier maintenance.
Version 19, Dec. 21, 2019
- Option to autoplay videos removed. This is now blocked by all major browsers.
- Updated TouchSwipe script.
Version 18, Nov. 14, 2019
- Option to loop slides. If selected, hitting "next" on the last slide returns to the first slide, and vice-versa.
- Swipe detection removed from slide pages for videos. This worked only in some browsers on some platforms, and caused usability problems in others.
- Color gradients on the page body restored on mobile devices. This was removed in version 16 because of problems with Chrome for Android. Chrome 80 fixes the bug.
- Meta "robots" choices on the Misc tab clarified to remove ambiguity.
- Some changes to the settings tab layouts.
Version 17, Nov. 1, 2019
- An updated version of the jAlbum ConstrainRatioFilter.
- Default setting for thumbnail constrain aspect ratio set to true.
- Modified internal handling of the values for the ConstrainRatioFilter, so they can be targeted with user variables.
Version 16, Sep. 17, 2019
- Improved handling of title bar logo images.
- Gray and Tan styles added.
- Color gradients on the page body misbehave badly in some mobile browsers, including Chrome, so the skin now removes the gradient on small displays.
- Simplified handling of body background images. Support for full-page background images (as opposed to small, repeated texture images) removed from settings, though still possible with custom CSS.
- Better positioning of download icon on small displays.
- Some corrected small display breakpoints.
- Spell-checking added to selected input fields (requires jAlbum 18.5 or better).
- Minor CSS fixes.
- Some default settings changes.
Version 15, Sep. 3, 2019
- Reworked positioning of thumbnail captions when using fixed shape thumbnails.
- A fix for unwanted thumbnail spacing doubling when using fixed shape thumbnails.
- A fix for unwanted border doubling when using zero thumbnail spacing.
- Some pre-processing eliminated and replaced with dynamic layout adjustments upon album viewing.
- Option for inclusion of a title bar logo image, and to make it a link to the album home or to an external site.
- CSS breakpoint adjustments.
- Minor code cleanup.
- This is the last version that is compatible with jAlbum 15/16
Version 14.1, Aug. 25, 2019
- A fix for a CSS error that sometimes prevented image thumbnail caption display.
Version 14, Aug. 20, 2019
- Thumbnail layout improvements.
- Some minor tweaks to the slide page responsiveness script.
- Some default settings changes.
- Changed About tab link to release notes.
- Removed some unnecessary CSS.
- Last traces of IE-specific code removed.
- A warning popup is provided if you try to use jAlbum widgets, which are not supported in this skin.
- Some resource scripts combined for faster page loading.
Version 13, Aug. 6, 2019
- Adjustment of CSS breakpoints for small displays.
- Revised slide page responsiveness script.
- Option to hide body opening and body closing material on small displays.
- Warning dialogs if the skin turns off chained directories or excludes unsupported objects.
Version 12.1, Jul. 23, 2019
- Fix for a navigation icon bug.
Version 12, Jul. 17, 2019
- Option to hide the title bar text on a slide page on small displays. This was the default, but you can now opt, instead, to have the title bar text truncated so that it doesn't line-wrap.
- Simplified handling of slide page responsiveness on small displays.
- Minor cleanup of YouTube and Vimeo query strings.
- Updated jQuery.
- Support for external video hosts other than YouTube and Vimeo withdrawn.
Version 11, Jun. 11, 2019
- Non-validating "controlsList" attribute removed from media players. Changes in Chrome make it unnecessary.
- To improve page rendering speed on slow connections, a font display attribute has been added to calls to Google Fonts.
- Minor bug fixes.
Version 10, May 12, 2019
- Option to provide a download icon in the caption area for images and/or videos. The size of the download icon may also be controlled independently.
- Choosing Link to originals via scaled images is now permitted, since the newly-introduced download icon can be tied to the original images (i.e., display the scaled image, but let the visitor download the full-sized original).
- Improved positioning of navigation icons on slide pages.
- Revised handling of slide page layout when Link to Originals is chosen.
- Default dimensions for YouTube and Vimeo videos changed.
- Maximum dimensions for YouTube and Vimeo videos increased.
- Some small code improvements.
Version 9, Feb. 25, 2019
- Option, when not using fixed-shape thumbnails, to constrain the aspect ratio (width divided by height) of the thumbnails, with a minimum of 0.5 and a maximum of 2.5. This prevents panoramic images and exceptionally tall, skinny images from producing thumbnails with extreme aspect ratios, which tend to distort the thumbnail table layout.
- Completely revised method for handling folders that don't have a representing thumbnail image. This includes the ability, when using the Custom style, to specify the background color behind the generic folder icon; preset styles use a color-matched background.
- Improved handling of thumbnail images that are smaller than the user settings require.
- More selective copying and loading of resource files.
- More selective CSS inclusion.
- More efficient folder thumbnail sizing.
- Method for excluding unsupported objects altered to accommodate processing sequence in latest release of jAlbum.
- Album generation is aborted if you choose non-fixed-shape thumbnails, but also choose thumbnail image bounds that have an aspect ratio (width/height) that is less than 1.0. The justified gallery of thumbnails is fundamentally incompatible with portrait mode image bounds.
- Default for video autoplay set to false.
Version 8, Jan. 17, 2019
- Option to choose alternate navigation icons for the "site home" and "album home" links.
- Revised default and upper limit for theme image width.
- More selective generation of navigation icons to output directory.
- User-provided URL's are now automatically encoded, unless they contain the "%" character, in which case it is assumed that they have already been encoded.
- Updated import variable exclusion list.
Version 7, Jan. 1, 2019
- Revised navigation options and icons. If a URL and text are entered under Album » Settings » Pages » Link to homepage, a "site home" icon is shown on each page of the album. If Link to album home is selected under Mercury » Layout » All Pages & Index Page » All Pages, an "album home" icon is shown on each page of the album below the top level, which takes the visitor to the top level of album. As before, an "up" icon is shown on each page of the album below the top level, which takes the visitor to the level immediately above the current level.
- Support for chained directories withdrawn. These were causing unfixable navigation problems on small devices.
- Improved positioning of titles and navigation icons on small displays, including a fix for one bug that would sometimes make a navigation icon inaccessible.
- A fix for a bug with the "top of page" action in Safari.
Version 6, Dec. 21, 2018
- Option to display a "top of page" navigation icon when the visitor scrolls down through the thumbnails. The size and opacity may be chosen, and when using the Custom style, the color of the icon and its background may be chosen. If you open a project created with a prior version, and were using the Custom style, the skin will use its "best guess" for colors for the icon and background, but you should check them before making an album.
- CSS box shadows made more subtle, and less opaque by default.
- A change to avoid unnecessary processing of subdirectories.
- Some small color adjustments.
Version 5, Dec. 5, 2018
- Option to specify a font variant - either "normal" or "small-caps" - for all text elements.
- Some page geometry tweaks.
Version 4, Nov. 20, 2018
- Improved display of large thumbnails on small devices.
- Option, when using non-fixed-shape thumbnails, to keep thumbnail captions always visible, rather than showing them only when the visitor hovers his mouse on the thumbnail.
- Simplified border selections.
- Simplified video dimension handling.
- Corrected fade-in for various page elements.
- A custom patch to the JustifiedGallery script to correct a margin problem on small displays.
- Some minor code improvements, including elimination of redundant thumbnail classes.
- Support for external HTML text files removed.
- Changes to some default settings.
Version 3, Sep. 20, 2018
- Additional control over title and description colors when using the Custom style. If you have an existing project that used the Custom style, the skin will make an educated guess about the correct choices for the colors that may now be specified, but you should inspect the title colors on the Custom tab when re-opening that project.
- Color settings for text and icons that overlay a theme image moved to the Custom tab. The preset styles default to white text and almost-white icons. If you have an existing project that used one of the preset styles, but on which you had changed the theme image text or icon colors, you will need to switch to the Custom style to make those changes.
- Font settings for text that overlays a theme image moved to the Fonts tab.
- Some reorganization of the Fonts tabs.
- Changes to keyboard navigation.
- CSS changes to the non-banner style title bar to eliminate unnecessary vertical scroll bars.
- CSS changes to the info page to improve the layout when the text is not extensive.
- Small adjustments to the slide page margin responsiveness.
- Info page scripts moved from inline to minified file.
Version 2, Aug. 30, 2018
- Correction of a CSS page layout bug.
- Minor fixes in the UI and the documentation.
Version 1, Aug. 6, 2018
- Initial release.
- Produces fully responsive albums with swipe support.
- Supports theme images and banner-style title bars.
- Option to use fixed-shape thumbnails or fully-justified, non-fixed-shape thumbnails.
- Option to display folder thumbnails in a separate section, with larger thumbnails and in an aspect ratio different from that applied to the regular thumbnails.
- Supports JPG's, PNG's, GIF's (including animated GIF's), MP4's, YouTube videos, and Vimeo videos. The display of each of these objects is fully responsive. Web locations produce thumbnails that link directly to their target locations or files. These are not part of the album's slide show.
- Slide images are shown on separate pages (i.e., not using a lightbox script).
- On a small display (like a phone), the slide image display is designed to maximize the space dedicated to the image, without cropping it.
- Support is provided for Google fonts and WOFF files, and for a separate information page.
- Allows the user to insert custom CSS and HTML from within the user interface.
- Produces valid HTML5/CSS3: supports all current browsers.